Sunday 24 April 2011

CODES AND CONVENTIONS OF REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS.

"In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge the codes and conventions of real media products?"

In our A2 media, we decided to create a music video as our main product and then also produce an ancillary task that involved creating a CD digipack for the album and a poster to advertise the single. All of these individual products had to be linked together by the appearance. I feel that I have done this well and followed the codes and conventions of the indie rock genre song we are creating these for but also I challenged them as well.

To create the music video, we first had to analyse a few different music videos for ourself. I felt I needed to get ready as I would be filming the entire music video. Therefore I broke down the different performance shots to a video with a similar genre. I found that a lot of close ups and mid shots were used at different angles throughout the music video. Therefore I chose to also create similar shots and used them well to create a flowing video.

Underneath is a powerpoint showing the differences and similarities of shots. I used Diana Vicker's music video to look at as it was a similar genre and style to what me and Charley had decided to create.

Conventions and Call Eng Ing Conventions of Indie Rock





I also created a powerpoint slide show of all of the performance shots Diana Vickers used as I wanted to see on average how many different shots were used throughout the music video.

Diana Vickers Shots




Creating the narrative side of the video was a lot more simple, as I found that most videos all used different techniques to eachother. Me and Charley both decided that not having a storyline as such would be a good idea, as we wanted to show the girl being alone through out most of the music video. Therefore, I captured a varielty of different shots using different techniques throughout. This consisted of the shots below o the powerpoint presentation.

Narrative Conventional and Unconventional Shots



Having a simple narrative was useful to us as we didnt have enough time as my partner was out a lot and we did fall behind. We used an over the shoulder shot of her writing "I miss you" and the lyrics of the song. I also filmed a lot of her walking around aimlessly on her own. This worked well as I slowed this down when coming to edit it and it created an emotional scene for the video. We did produce the other shots with other characters in such as the "throwing leaves scene" but we only used a small amount of this as we used them as flashbacks.

Album Cover Convention



In our ancillary task I also used other artists work to inspire me in how to create ours. I did create a first CD Cover and at the time got some feedback from some class mates. I was told it looked to much like a magazine front cover because of the mid shot and to change it. So I retook a photoshoot which a lot more glamour and effort and came to take some successful images. I took a variety of different shots to be able to experiment with all of them such as close ups, mid shots and also some long shots in the studio. I also challenged the conventions that our genre should contain. As I have found out in my research of CD Covers, I found that most of them were very chalk like or darker. But as I wanted to test it, I decided using a bright coloured CD Cover may catch the audiences eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment