Friday 22 April 2011

COMBINATION OF MAIN PRODUCT AND ANCILLARY TEXTS.

'How effective is the combination of your main product and the ancillary texts?'

Because of the type of genre we are producing a music video for; I found that the CD covers don’t ever really tie in with the actual video. The videos all seem to be calm and laid back, whereas the CD covers and promotional poster always is bright and stand out compared to the video. This is because the CD cover needs to sell itself and needs to be bright for it to be able to stand out to the audience. Personally if I was looking for a CD, my eye would be drawn to the most colourful and one that has a clear image of the artist on the front. Therefore, this is the approach I used.





These two images below are CD covers that I have found which are by famous artists. Number 1 is of Ellie Goulding, and indie rock artist who creates videos very similar to our project video. As you can see, the image is a close up of her, a very clear image which has been manipulated to make the image stand out. She has used bright lights to fill her hair for her image to stand out whereas I used a more simple approach used brightly coloured face make-up and paint splatters around. This gives the CD its own personality as well.



This is my finished CD front cover. I went against conventions of the genre also. By using bright make- up and a bright hair colour, this CD cover is more similar to Rihanna’s CD cover. Her music is more RnB, but I also feel that Rihanna is turning wackier and is trying to get into a similar genre. Nowadays, all of the genre's in the music industry are becoming closer and closer together. The indie rock genre (as we are producing) is becoming more colourful and bright like a more RandB style.
This image is a lot softer and relates more to the title of the song as she is fading out. This is a double page spread and I feel it works well because of this. This is the first page that the audience will see when opening the CD pack and it needed to be inspirational and fun. Therefore, using the title as an inspiration for me, I feel would give the audience something to think about. I also wanted the page to be fun as well as the genre conventions is what it is all about. The images needed to be quite natural but enjoyable to look at. Half of the images are very natural with her just staring into the camera but there are a few images that aren’t. I felt challenging the genres conventions will be fun and would work. So I got my model to pull a few funny faces and I also included the successful images into my work. The background is very plain and grey which is why the whole page is very dull in itself. Therefore, I thought the next page which is underneath needed to link with the CD front cover more.

This image is a lot brighter and block coloured and is similar to the front cover. It is obviously staged which is unusual for the type of genres but it works well. I have framed it with a black border to make it look like a Polaroid picture. As the same as above, I have included lyrics from the song. When looking through various CD packs, this stood out in most of them. Therefore I felt putting important lyrics within the CD pack would give the lyrics more meaning and would also promote other songs within the CD album. I have used a simple handwritten style graphic throughout the whole CD pack as I felt this would make the CD more personal to the audience. This is also very common in other CD packs with a similar genre and sometimes even includes a signature.
This is an insert for primarily the audience. It is a comment page about what the audience think about the CD. We posted this on three different social networking sites, including facebook, twitter and also tumblr. We asked a small audience what they thought of the song sang by Gabrielle Aplin- Ghosts and these are the actual comments that were left. Having a long shot image of the actress down the side of the comments gives the page more input as if there was no image, the page would look to plain, and the audience would most probably not look at it. This is very similar to the second insert as the background is very plain and washed out. This is because the main aspect of this page is the comments and they need to be easy to read and not over complicated. Therefore I decided to keep the detail to a minimum. I simply used a paint splatter to continue the theme that has happened throughout the CD pack.

This is the lyrics page. When looking through CD pack examples, I found that the backgrounds are very plain. Therefore I decided keeping the background a very slight grey would allow the lyrics to stand out. I used a simple font that I had used throughout the rest of the pack as I did not want to over complicate the lettering as it was already very small. I clearly marked out the different verses and the chorus. I have used the theme once again but expanded on this slightly and added different shapes in such as a heart. I feel this works well.
BACK COVER





This is the back cover of the CD. As you can see it links with the front cover very well. The colour is very similar and has all of the icons that a CD would expect to have. It has a bar code, and also small print at the very bottom. I looked into what the writing included at the bottom of the CD cover and found that it was about the company and the copyright of the music. Therefore, I created the same but in the way it was relevant to our group.

No comments:

Post a Comment