Wednesday 27 April 2011

EVALUATION.





'How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research/planning and evaluation stages?'






RESEARCH:
Music Video: Within our research stages I used the internet a lot when it came to finding out about the genre, analysing different music videos etc.
I used the social networking site, Youtube to watch the videos and embedded them into my blog. We watched the video so we could find out about the conventions of an indie rock music video. We found out which locations, props, costume, and lighting etc. was used (mise en scene). Having Youtube as a well-known social networking site is a great advantage to me as so many videos are uploaded and give me great ideas. Looking at similar music videos gave me inspiration about different shots and locations I could use along with different storylines and the costumes. We tried out a variety of different techniques such as using the dolly. We used this within our music video and I found that it worked incredibly well as a simple narrative. The different locations also inspired me, such as the "Passenger- What Will become Of Us?" music video. This gave me the idea of using the countryside as a set location. Having the internet has been a fantastic advantage to me during the research process, because if I was unable to use the resorces I have had access to such as the social networking sites, I would have to watch the television or other places which would have been a lot more difficult to do.
Ancillary Task: I was also able to go on artist’s websites and find their album covers and posters that promote their songs. I was able to find out about strong convention of the genre and incorporate them within my work, but also challenge them at the same time by using block colour and brightness. This isnt so different from other artists now because all genres are becoming very similar to eachother because all the artists are experimenting with new things. I was able to use Google if I was unable to find the artists websites. I looked at Gabrielle Aplin’s latest EP Album Cover to get an idea of how she has presented herself. I could use Facebook to then get any more ideas.

PLANNING:
Music Video: When planning the music video, I was able to upload questionnaires onto Facebook. It was a lot quicker and easier to use and I got a lot of feedback quite quickly because of the amount of friends I have. I was able to collect the results and find out what sort of things my target audience would like to be included within the music video. I was able to get in contact with anybody around the world using this social networking site. Blogger has also been a great help to me as i was able to store all of my planning in one place and it also allowed people to comment on it and give me feedback or ideas. It also allows me to see how i have progressed throughout the journey of this project. This has been a huge help to me.
Ancillary Task: For the ancillary task I was also able to look at different album covers and draw out quick sketches of how we wanted them to look like. This was useful and by also looking at different artists CD covers gave me influences on how to produce my digipack and the poster.






FILMING:
Music Video: When filming the different scenes I learnt how to use various different technologies. One of these was a small digital camera that was easy to carry around and was simple to use and also very cheap. I was able to attach the bottom of the camera to a tripod which held the camera still at any height or angle. This allowed me to create different shot types and experiment with new and more creative shots. We also learnt how to use the dolly and we used this on quite a few occasions as I felt it would work well with our video. I could pan, move in on the actress, move out of the actress, and also follow her with the dolly. What I did find however is that it was very difficult to use unless on a completely flat surface as it did seem to react to minor bumps. Before creating these shots, I did look into the different shots that were used in previous music video in the same genre as ours and incorporated it into our work. The level technology is at now, I was able to film all of the footage very cheaply and easily as nowadays, digital film cameras are very cheap and simple to use.

PHOTOGRAPHS:
Ancillary Task: When taking images for both ancillary tasks, I used a large SLR digital camera. I already knew how to use these cameras so I took full advantage of this and created a lot of experimental images. I also used the white backdrop to create a more confined piece and different stage lighting to create shadows. I was able to also create a photoshoot very cheaply because of the wide range of technology that is coming out now.

EDITING:
Music Video: When coming to edit the many sequences that I had filmed, I firstly uploaded them to iMovie. This was thought to be an easy and simple program to get along with, but with many tries and fails, I could not get along with it. Therefore, I transferred all of my footage over to a different program called Final Cut Express. I found this easier as it was similar to the program I used last year called Adobe Premier Pro. I was soon able to start cutting clips and experimenting with different transitions and fades. I also found it had many more tools and I was able to create our music video to look more professional. I started simply putting together performance shots and getting them all in sync with the backing track and then after, I started adding in the narrative. This is iMovie. I found this program very difficult to use as there was only one long continuing line of footage whereas i like using different layers. So I used Final Cut Express to edit my work.

Ancillary Task: When coming to edit my photographs for the ancillary, I used a range of different programs such as Photoshop , Photobucket and Picnik. These are all very easy and simple editing programs to use. I was able to also experiment with different ways of cropping, colouring and the different graphics to also use. I played around with them and got to know the programs well and was able to finish a professional looking cd cover and poster.

EVALUATION:
When coming to evaluate my work, for the feedback from the target audience, I used social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter. This allowed my target audience to be a range of different people from all over the world that will give me a wide selection of different results. I also uploaded the finished video onto Youtube. This allowed my target audience from all over the world to see the finished piece and for them to comment their feedback onto it.

Also using blogspot has opened my eyes to all of the opportunities there are on the internet. Having a blog to use in my own way has introduced me to websites such as scribd.com and slideshare which allows me to present my work neatly and in an orderly fashion.
Looking at blog to blog also has let me get influences from other peoples work as they also upload videos and present their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment